Sunday, June 13, 2010

Third Time Lucky - FRINGE XX

Third Time Lucky @ The Hour Stage Venue #4. Written & performed by Paul Hutchison from Toronto. This is his third (3rd) solo one man show; A former high school teacher that has previously toured as an artist extensively in Canada and south of the border. This solo comedy is not for the light at heart, all be it more likely for the light of foot. More queer than a three dollar bill, Hutcheson invites his audience to join him and get lucky, as we live vicariously through the tales of his travels to Asia and the South Pacific. He takes us on a jaunt through his sexual exploits and he shares his intimate insights into his own sexual self discovery of becoming a whole and complete sexual being as he reached his mid-thirties. A sex-capade that is more a raw rant than a humourous adventure it is delivered with high physical energy and plenty of enthusiasm. 3 Cents. Dee Arr

THIRD TIME LUCKY,
Hour Stage, Venue #4. It is a little too much for me. A little too crude, a little too loud, a little too agitated. Aggressive energy, I'd call it as opposed to high energy. One could say it got 'third part lucky' because, probably a little tired by the end, he seemed to tone it down somewhat, and I found it three times better! I also applaud how he interacted with the audience, even turning an unexpected noise into a punch line. However, I worry that the show reinforces the cliché image of the over-sexuality of gay man by the 'general' population. I thought I'd try to counteract this show with my own sex life and some of gay men that I know. I came up with three of whom all are in very stable partnerships, and two of those are in long-term committed relationships. Question is: how can you turn these statistics into an entertaining show? 3 cents. TinTin

No comments: